Identity - Revisited, Again

There are many times that  I think about how my life has evolved, the choices and decisions I have made, and how it's impacted me.

Essentially, I have always think about who I am with this questions: "What do you want to be known as, What do you want to be an expert at or be known for as a person, What is it that should make someone come to you for advice because you are the best in that field?"

I originally wrote a blog post on identity in March 2009. At that time, I answered it with three main points: 1) Graphic Design 2) Dance 3) Volunteer/Fundraising Event Management

I revisited this topic in April 2012, and the answer at that time was: Business executive who can manage a business from inside out with focus on corporate strategy and development (M&A, Business Expansion / Growth, Organization Development and Management). 

I am revisiting this again today, and although it has not drastically it has changed, it has been modified a bit. Earlier this year, I wrote out a few key goals and objectives, and I am happy that my life revolves around these and keeps me energized, passionate, and focused. This keeps reminding of the famous Steve Jobs Speech. He had three main stories with key points: 
  • Connecting the Dots: Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. 
  • Love and Loss: Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle. 
  • Death: On the back cover of their final issue of The Whole Earth Catalog was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
I can closely relate to connecting the dots. I have made many decisions, took lots of pivots, and changed my focus and outlook drastically. Looking back, all the pieces makes sense and connect well in their own unique way. Psychology to graphic design to marketing to business doesn't seem like a logical progression, but it definitely fits well together for me and who I am and how I function. I love what I do and when I get bored of it, I adjust my focus to ensure that my day-to-day life is driven by my passion and what I love to do. 

2014 Goals and Objectives

Strategy & Operations Business Leader 
Director of Operations, Hosting at Internet Brands: Build and manage a strong organization focused on excellence. 

Mental Outlook and Enjoy

Everyday Values’ and Enjoy Yourself: Cooking, Painting, Movies, Exploring, Music, etc.  
Talk----Softly
Walk----Humbly
Eat----Sensibly
Breathe----Deeply
Sleep----Sufficiently
Dress----Smartly
Act----Fearlessly
Work----Patiently
Think----Truthfully
Believe----Correctly
Behave-----Decently
Learn----Practically
Plan-----Orderly
Earn----Honestly
Save-----Regularly
Spend----Intelligently
Love-----Passionately
Enjoy----Completely

Toastmasters Leadership and Communication
Distinguished Toastmasters: Attend toastmasters every week and work towards the two tracks; Communications: CC, ACB, ACS, ACG and Leadership: CL, ALB, ALS

Physical Fitness and Dance
Zumba: Attend Zumba classes at 2-3 times a week; take 1 day Basic Instructor class
Indian Dance: Mona Dance Company Indian dance class starting in June

Learning, Sharing and Connecting
Continue learning, sharing, and connecting!

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Equations by Chip Conley

Creative Meeting Names