Emotional Equations by Chip Conley
I bought and read this book a while back, but I ponder around it every once in a while. I really like the concept of emotions turned into logical equations to define them and help us understand the underlying reasons behind certain emotions. The author uses Emotional Equations to create insight and perspective as well as happiness and success.
Some highlights from Part 1 of the Book:
- Chip Conley is a CEO of a company called Joie de Vivre (French for Joy of Life), boutique hotels in California.
- If you are going through hell, keep going (Winston Churchill)
- We all need to come to understand that we can use our seasons of darkness as means to find new reservoirs of strength -- strength we didn't know we had.
- We all want a fully functional heart and mind.
- The most successful business leaders are often experts on emotions.
- Humanity's common currency, emotions, is how we connect, even when we have little else in common.
- Our emotions even preceded our ability to put them into words. The emotional center of the human brain, the medulla oblongata, formed before the thinking part of the brain, the neocortex.
- The Latin root of the word emotion means 'to move' or Energy + Motion.
- Emotions are vehicles for transformation or moving your life.
- Most widely agreed emotions: fear, anger, sadness, disgust, surprise, and joy.
- Event + Reaction = Outcome
- Letting an emotion move through you is healthy. Letting an emotion define you is not.
- Emotional Emotions is like a psychological GPS, it allows you to navigate difficult or unknown terrain. They help detect and translate, harness and channel emotions productively, so they become rational and purposeful, rather than scattered and chaotic.
I created my first infographic with 'Emotional Equations':
Here is Chip Conley's Ted Talk: Measuring What Makes Life Worthwhile